Saturday 15 January 2011

Pop may be rocking the charts...but rock is rocking the concerts...

Not that I have anything against pop music. I love it, I really do, it's just that today's charts are mostly filled with the crappy pop and hip hop songs that people forget about in a year's time .Not the wonderful pop that people remember for decades afterwards.
It's all about which songs get the most airplay...
But, while people have been wasting mere pennies on annoying tracks from itunes...it's the dedicated fans who are paying real money to see better artists live.
This post was meant to be posted about four weeks ago, but I'm the queen of procrastination and I've managed to find a new excuse to not post it every day.
So without further ado...the Top Four Earning Tours of 2010!
1.Bon Jovi's 'The Circle' tour.
Money earned:$201.1m (£130.7m)

Um....am I allowed to admit I actually kind of like Bon Jovi? Just the tiniest, incy-wincyiest bit...I know lots of people find them annoying and cheesy, but they've made some pretty decent songs. I mean, come on, 'You give love a bad name' and 'Livin' On a Prayer' are so catchy! And you have got to love that 80s hair. Jon Bon Jovi should never have cut it all off...

2.AC/DC's tour
Money earned:$177m (£115m).

All I have to say is wow! They've been ongoing since 1973, with practically no breaks. And they're number two? And they were number two last year as well? Guys, I salute you.They've obviously got some very loyal fans out there. But with awesome songs like 'Thunderstruck" and "Highway to Hell" it's no surprise.

3.U2's tour
Money earned:$160.9m (£104.6m)
U2 were actually the top worldwide act last year as well. It's a shame they've slipped down, but hey, at least they're in the top three! They deserve it too, with their amazing live performances. Check this one out...I can't decide whether the girl on the stage is really embarassed or just overwhelmed.



I'm not the biggest fan of U2's music (not my taste) , but I guess they're good at what they do.
4.Lady Gaga
Money earned:$133.6 million (£86.8 million)
Yeah, well I never said these charts were completely rock dominated, did I? I actually used to like Lady Gaga, a couple of years ago when I rock music still scared me. But, hearing 'pa-pa-pa-pokerface' a hundred times on the radio, chanted by people at school and simply EVERYWHERE, needless to say, I felt like doing more than poking her face. To be fair though, Lady Gaga has worked very hard to get this position in the chart. She played 138 shows, whereas AC/DC only played 40, Bon Jovi played 80 and U2 played 32. I've heard her performances are as spectacular as her outfits too.


So there we have the top four earning tours of 2010! I just wanted to mention, Paul McCartney (my favourite Beatle! Apart from when it switches to George) made it to 8th place on the top ten! His tour made $93 million (£60 million)! I'd just like to congratulate him on that, because I think it's amazing people still listen to his music, even though it's been 50 years since the Beatles started performing. To give this post a great ending, here's a video of him performing 'Yesterday' (doesn't he look so cute?! He has the same nose as my little brother). Listen out for random hysterical screaming in  the audience. Girls don't even scream like that for Justin Bieber. 





So what did you guys think of the Top Four Earners of 2010? Were you surprised by any or not really? 
Don't be shy, give me your thoughts!

10 comments:

  1. Actually it did shock me a little. But I REALLY like these results!!
    Pop stars come and go,but Rockers are FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they shocked me too! It shows that just because rock music is rarely in the charts these days doesn't mean that it's died out! I mean, an artist can become number one and never ever chart again. They'll be forgotten like that. Poof! :)
    But...lots of the rock artists in this list have been around for decades. Metallica was fifth on the list, I forgot to mention them. I mean...can you imagine people in a couple of decades still listening to...well, I don't want to be mean by picking out any artists in our current top 40...although I can see a lot of songs that will be forgotten really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank god Rock is still alive! These days, only place I find some great rock music is out on our blogs ! Lol. Even the Grammy's are worthless to watch ! :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I noticed you haven't mentioned your Email ID anywhere. You should probably, helps interested people in contacting you directly :)
    PS. Just a suggestion :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, thank God rock is still alive :D
    It's funny you should mention me putting up my email address. I did actually, I had it up for a couple of months, but I started getting lots of spam and really strange friend requests from people who were...let's just say dodgy.
    So I took it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm.. Dont get me wrong, but actually one of my co-bloggers had suggested me long ago that I need to give out a contact mail, you know. And yea, though spam is a problem, but it helps relevant artists to reach you too. Anyway, Its your choice :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No real surprises with the exception of Lady Gaga. I personally wouldn't pay money to see any of the bands on the list. Good post, though.

    YourZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting YourZenMine :D It's alright, I see your point about the others, although what about Paul McCartney? Come on... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know. I love The Beatles and Macca's early solo releases. But I would hate to go see him and have my rosy view of him be discoloured. Having said this, if he put Wings back together and toured, I'd be there in a heart beat.

    YourZ

    ReplyDelete
  10. hellooo, nice post.
    I'm really not surprised, I think all this artists deserves to be in the "Top 5".
    And I like Bon Jovi, I mean, it's true that they have decayed a little bit but... I still love songs like "you give love a bad name", "living on a prayer" or "always"!!! and I will go to the Circle Tour this summer in barcelonaa:)
    And, I agree with you, Lady Gaga totally deserves the 4rth position. I know that because last december I went to the Monster Ball Tour and it's totally awesome, she really worked very hard to be a pop queen!

    kisses!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Save me from death of boredom